local reactions to language family terms

willemdereuse at unt.edu willemdereuse at unt.edu
Mon Jun 4 22:42:06 UTC 2007

Very interesting comments from Mark and Bryan.  To some extent, name
recognition makes it a bit easier.  I work with Apaches, and I do not
see any move to change the term Apache to the Native term Nnee, or
Ndee, or Dinde, etc. etc., whereas Navajos like the term Dine and
Papagos are now Tohono O'odham.  The term Apache is so recognizable,
even though it is, as far as we can tell, a Zuni word for enemy!  Also
if one used the native words for "Apache", one would have to decide on
which spelling to use, depending on which Aapche variety/language.
Apache is equally un-Apache to al Aapches and that si its appeal...