obviation

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 12 00:45:27 UTC 2007

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Bryan Gordon wrote:
> Back to the main topic:

A few  observations on proximate/obviative as I used it in regard to
Omaha-Ponca:

1)  It was not a felicitous choice of words.  Ardis' terminology is
probably better, on the whole.  It certainly has the virtue of not
confusing things with irrelevant details of Algonquian grammar.

2)  As I used to make a point of saying, in using the terms proximate and
obviative I was drawing an analogy between comments made by Omaha-Ponca
speakers with whom Dorsey worked and comments made by Kickapoo speakers in
a Kickapoo language project grammar of Kickapoo that I had run into.
Both groups of speakers described certain (more) obviative forms as
applying to

a) actions by unseen actors
b) actions where the actor was acting on the instructions of someone else

As far as I can determine, the Kickapoo examples so described were not the
classical Algonquian obviative, but something peculiar to the Fox group in
Algonquian, called a second obviative.  The authors of the Kickapoo
grammar used the terms proximate and obviative only for this distinction
and ignored the (primary) proximate and obviative entirely, as far as I
can recall.  In itself that was interesting.

In this context, the unseen, but reported actor and the instructed actor
are logically, but not grammatically, more remote (obviative, off the
path) than a typical (proximate, near by) actor.

I believe that the primary proximate/obviative distinction of Algonquian
is a grammaticalized scheme for distinguishing two third persons in order
of the internal logic of a sentence or at least a set of related clauses,
and rather a different thing.

I will not try to recover what my authorities (Paul Voorhis and Ives
Goddard) had to say about second obviatives, but it seemed to fit the
case.  My recollection is that a secondary obviative has to apply to the
subject.  (That should rouse the somewhat quiescent Algonquianists to full
explanatory power.)

3) So, in applying this logic to Omaha-Ponca et al., consider that
Omaha-Ponca third person animate subjects are almost always proximate, and
third person objects are absolutely always obviative.  But sometimes a
sentence has a subject that is more remote than the incoming set of agents
and patients, and then such subjects are marked as obviative.

The usual markings of a proximate are the plural enclitic with the
punctual verb, the plural a-prefix with motion verbs, and the akha/ama
articles with a definite subject.  To indicate obviativity, use singular
marking with the verb, and switch from the akha/ama articles to the set
usually used with animate objects.

For convenience I use the term proximate article with the akha/ama
articles, and obviative article with the dhiNkhe/thaN/dhiN/ma and
sometimes khe set used with objects and obviative subects.

I've mentioned before that I suspect plural marking applies to proximates
in Omaha-Ponca because Siouan plural marking is historically a sort of
focus marker.  It signalized that the subject was the pre-eminent one
among several possible ones.  Not so much "they did it" as 'It was he
among them all who did it."  So omitting the "plural marker" in
Omaha-Ponca doesn't so much reduce things to "he did it," as to "someone
did it."

Following this logic, Dakotan pluralized nominals like thi'=pi would not
historically be 'they live there' but 'a certain one lives there; he lives
there'.  A plural subject used to forground the object would either be a
subsequent development, or a relict case of =pi being used to focus the
object instead of the subject.