Cognacy of the Omaha and Ponca (was Re: local reactions ...)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Jun 15 23:00:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Tom Leonard wrote:
> Ponca people have long held that they are "related" to the Omaha ("they're
> our relatives") but that they have always been a separate entity - the two
> tribes living together at one time but always distinct from one another. I've
> heard Omaha people describe the relationship in a similar manner.

This sense of connection is probably behind LaFlesche's term 'cognate
tribes', extending to all the Dhegiha peoples.  He probably doesn't have
the current linguistic sense in mind as such and I also doubt he means
'speaking languages full of cognate words'.  I'm not sure if 'agnate'
might not be the proper term for what he has in mind, for that matter.
My attempt to make sense of his term is to assume that he refers not to
common descent, lingusitic or otherwise, but to parallel institutions and
organizations, or perhaps to something of what Tom reports as a sense of
being connected, but always extant.

Notice that Tom reports the Ponca and Omaha as seeing themselves more like
separated siblings (without explicit parents) than as children
(descendents) of a single parent entity.  This is analogous to Americans
and Canadians thinking of themselves and the English as all formerly
living together in England before, for some reason, the Americans and
(Anglo-)Canadians all moved to North America, leaving the English behind.
In fact, I believe we tend to think of ourselves as children of England.

The concept that all present branches of a group have always been
logically separate, though not perhaps originally physically separate, is
one that reappears in Dhegiha accounts, and I think it is is common in
similar situations in the Plains area.  The other Dhegiha example occurs
in the "Ohio Origin" legend in which the five tribes are conceived of as
moving down the Ohio together and then splitting off from the main body at
various points.   The specifically Omaha and Ponca versions of this
continue the process in dividing the Omaha and Ponca.

>>From a linguistic and ethnographic perspective, even if we try to escape
the folk modelling of the process, it makes perfect sense to see the Omaha
and Ponca as offshoots or a single earlier entity.  Apart from the obvious
and particular similarities of the two languages, the clan structure of
the Omaha and Ponca is more or less complementary, when compared with that
of other Dhegiha groups like the Osage or Kaw.  In other words, you have
to add the Omaha and Ponca clan sets to come up with something like the
set exhibited among the Osage or Kaw.  There are some overlaps, but it
certainly looks like some event fissioned the original combined system.

I don't know that we have to assume anything unusual for this event.
Both groups were internally divided into villages (Omaha) or bands (Ponca)
when encountered.  I assume the Omaha vs. Ponca fission was simply an
earlier, but fairly recent fissioning that persisted.

Incidentally, the complex and rather well-developed interior structuring
of the Omaha "Left Hands Side" clan - also its large size compared with
other clans - suggests to me that it represents the reverse process, i.e.,
it is an absorbed entity that was originally more independent.  This
absorption is well advanced, if this is the case, and it may have occurred
before the Omaha-Ponca split.  An analogy here might be the
Cheyenne-Suhtai merger or the association of the Kiowa and the "Kiowa
Apache."  Or consider the widespread fusions in the Caddoan groups.  (The
Caddo "proper" even incorporate one of the original Quapaw villages, the
ImaNhaN, demonstrating again that lingusitically dissimilar elements can
be absorbed fairly quickly.)

So, while the traditions of both ethnographees and ethnographers tends to
assume constancy of language, we have to keep in mind that there is no
reason why all elements in the mix were always Dhegiha speaking.  It does
seem likely that any entity that divided into the linguistically similar
Omaha and Ponca must have been primarily speaking an earlier version of
Omaha-Ponca, but the Left Hand Side people, if originally separate, need
not have been Omaha-Ponca, or even Dhegiha speakers.

I tend to keep the idea that languages can change in mind when trying to
explain the several Dakota bands north of the Omaha-Ponca area named
Waz^az^a.  Compare Dhegiha waz^az^e 'Osage', the name of one of the
"standard" Dhegiha clans.  And of course, examples like this, and
certainly like Imaha, warn us not to be too agressive in explaining names
of clans or tribes in terms of their current language.  Maybe we're
puzzled by the etymology of words like Kansa and Ponca, etc., because
they're not Siouan words, or at least not Dhegiha words.

Turning from that point back to Bryan's apology for looking at still more
Algonquian data, I'd say don't apologize.  I don't think we whould
degenerate to looking always at all languages, but if we are consistent in
applying such glances to Siouan problems, I think we are OK.

I like to see us looking at other languages, especially nearby ones, in
connection with Siouan, because I think we can only profit from knowing
more, collectively, about the wider linguistic context of Siouan.  Not
just vocabulary elements, of course, but also grammatical issues like
obviation in Algonquian, or clause syntax, etc.

For example, I think Bob Rankin's usage "conjunctive (marker)" for the
Omaha-Ponca =e=gaN 'having ...' marker in clauses, borrowing from
Algonquian descriptive models, has been very helpful to me.  Maybe my
scheme of calling certain things in Dhegiha "obviative," wasn't quite as
helpful, though it has attracted people to thinking about what is actually
going on.

A couple of debts need to be acknowledged. One is that I think that it was
actually Bob Rankin who suggested I should look at whether the OP "plural
singulars" etc. might be marking something like the proximate/obviative.
This is a case where in acknowledging the debt I need to observe that he
suggested looking at this would be interesting.  He didn't recommend that
I take over the terms.  So, while he deserved the credit for pointing us
in that direction, he's innocent of any terminological gaffes.  The other
debt is owed to Boas, who send Frida Hahn to Oklahoma to discoved, among
other things, what that -bi- was at the end of Omaha-Ponca verbs (or stuck
on the front of things like biama 'they say').  Even before that, of
course, Dorsey experimented with endless approaches to explaining the
particle coglomerations at the end of Omaha-Ponca sentences, and also
meticulously recorded his consultants observations on the implications of
using one kind of article vs. another, or of including a "plural marker in
a singular form or not.   In the end it was a very good thing that Dorsey
and other consultants managed to produce quite a few sentences with mixed
structures that later consultants seized upon as ungrammatical.