Syntax of Lakhota Sentence from "Lakota Eyapaha"

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jun 14 15:11:27 UTC 2007

Hello Regina, First of all, many thanks for those enlightening &
subtle comments, as well as for the extra data.
Your second example is most intriguing! Is "eyas^" there on its way
to becoming a sentence-final (adverbial?) particle, (in addition to
the more usual conjunctional use), I wonder?
Presumably also some degree of Ellipsis is operative? (e.g. a
suppressed concessive clause, or such.)

Incidentally, "kecamin" is as it appears in Starr's trad.
orthography, (I inserted the aspirated c, and the penultimate word-
accent [probably incorrectly, from another source], as well as
interpreting the final "-n" as a nasal, in my transcription ) but
perhaps it may be a typo. I thought it was probably a (sub-)dialectal
variant of "kéchaNmi". Starr tells us at one point that he is Oglala,
from Pine Ridge (but of Hunkpapa ancestry, through one of his
grandfathers : "Ehanni tunkasilawaye kin Ojula Hunkpapa heca." [p.
53]..."Lehanl Oglala na Hunkpapa we hankeke ematanhan." [p. 54]).

On checking just now, I notice that my edition of Fr. Buechel's
Grammar [p.70, #49,  e) ] , rather confusingly, gives
"kécami" (accented thus, & sans aspirate) as 1stPsg. of "kéciN",
whereas Buechel-Manhart Dict. has "kéc(h)anmi" from "kéc(h)iN"
To tell you the truth, I find Fr. Manhart's system of denoting
aspirated stops very trying (and difficult to even see, without the
aid of a large magnifier!)

Regards,

Clive.

P.S. Wishing you & your team great success with the Reference
Grammar. Sorely needed! Oglu waste eciciyapelo.