Dance Lodges on the Great Plains

Billy Maxwell bmaxwell at mt.net
Sat May 19 06:07:32 UTC 2007

The dance lodges are a carry over from earth lodges since the dance was
transfered to the Hidatsa
at a fairly late date. I think it is 1870. Then that form spread from
there and the dance house with it.
This is one version of the spread and I am sure there are other
versions out there.

The Crow Call it the Hot Dance early on and it was a carry over from
the Arikara doings.

The late Bill Shortman, who was Belknap Gros Ventre, told me quite a
bit about the old dance houses there.
Some stories I should not relate here, he he. Along with wood stoves
there are the kerosine lanterns and then the
Coleman lanterns after WW 2. Some of our contributors have boogied in
Blackfeet dance halls as late as the 1950's.
Billy