obviation in Siouan languages

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu May 31 14:10:42 UTC 2007

Mary, would you be willing to offer a brief explanation of what obviation
means in Algonquian?  There has certainly been a good deal of discussion
about a distinction, or a partially overlapping pair of distinctions, in
Omaha-Ponka, for which the categories "proximate" and "obviative" have been
proposed, I believe originally by John Koontz.  My understanding is that
there is some uncertainty as to whether the distinctions in question are
equivalent to the Algonquian distinction or not.

Thanks,
Rory