obviation in Siouan languages

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Thu May 31 18:53:52 UTC 2007

As Rory points out, Dhegiha languages have something very similar distinguishing primary from non-primary actors.  Ardis's dissertation was at least partly on this distinction in Omaha.

I have toyed with the idea of trying to redefine the "switch-reference" distinction in those Siouan languages that have it as an obviation distinction.  Such redefinition clearly works in Muskogean, where it is the only way to tie "S-R" and argument marking particles together without a hopelessly complex appeal to homophony, but I haven't really gotten down to the business of trying to demonstrate it in Siouan.  Clearly the more inclusive concept of "referent tracking" operates in Siouan grammars, though it differs from language to language.  If I had to guess, I'd say it is historically primary in Algonquian but secondary in Siouan.

What were the papers you're referring to on Algonquian?

Bob