sunflowers

Mark J Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Nov 6 14:08:51 UTC 2007

BOB,
Grandma Elizabeth Stabler's lexicon notes sunflower as "zha'xtha zi" or
"yellow blossom weed", I think.
I will try to check the JOD slip file microfilm later this morning.

Uthighide

Mark Awakuni-Swetland

ONska abthiN! Thi shti?

"Rankin, Robert L" <rankin at ku.edu>
Sent by: owner-siouan at lists.colorado.edu
11/05/2007 08:52 PM
Please respond to
siouan at lists.colorado.edu

<siouan at lists.colorado.edu>
cc

Subject
sunflowers

All,

I've had an enquriy from an archaeologist at Florida State U. about the
words for 'sunflower' (Helianthus).  The comparative dictionary lacks any
general term for the plant or its flower although there is a cognate set
for its root, which was eaten.  The archaeologists are interested in the
seeds and the domestication of same.  They're trying to determine whether
the terms are similar in North America and Mexico, as there is some
question whether Mexican and northern domestication of the seed plant were
independent developments.

As far as I can tell there is virtually no uniformity across Siouan.  Here
is what I have thus far:

Hidatsa:  ma:pha:      'day+flower' or 'morning flower'
Mandan:  ma?pe?     'day+flower' or 'morning flower'
Dakota:  waxcazi thaNka  'flower+yellow big'
Kansa:   mittogaxle   'sunflower'  mi 'sun+?'
Osage:   miihtoNeli  'sunflower'  mii 'sun+?', also
                xlazi            'flower+yellow' in term for August.
Ofo:         i:la akikcehi 'sun+flower' possibly calqued from English?

Does any one of you have additional terms?  We ought to be able to find
words in Crow, Ioway-Otoe, Omaha-Ponca and Winnebago-Hocank at least.
Since probably every one of the above terms is simply descriptive, it
seems likely that they won't find matches with any Mexican words.  Any
additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks,