Frida Hahn

Tom Leonard tmleonard at cox.net
Tue Apr 29 14:36:17 UTC 2008

Rory,

My mom said Frida was Jewish from Germany.

There was also rumor (unsubstantiated) that many German linguists were
sent to Native American communities in the early 1930s (as Hitler was
coming to power). Their work was well funded and given high priority.
Hitler was aware of the U.S. using Shawnee and Choctaw speakers in
W.W.-I and was trying to document other Native Languages. Most of the
German scholars were unaware of the manipulation at play and nearly all
were recalled back to their universities before 1939.

I have heard this story from several different people over the years,
including - oddly enough - two Comanche Code Talkers from W.W.-II. But,
I have never seen empirical evidence to substantiate the tales. Nearly
every tribe in Oklahoma, however, has stories of German linguists
"visiting" amongst their tribe in the early 1930s.

Could be a myth...could be true. It would be interesting to find
additional info on this chapter.

TML