Frida Hahn

Mark J Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Apr 29 15:36:05 UTC 2008

In my Anthropology of the Great Plains class I have always described the
"Russified" Volga Germans as being either Protestants or Catholics,
reflecting the division of their original closed corporate mother colonies
on either side of the Volga River... and subsequent sorting out by faith
into either Kansas or Nebraska.
Mark Awakuni-Swetland

"Ttenixa uxpathe egoN" a biama, winisi akHa.

rwd0002 at unt.edu
Sent by: owner-siouan at lists.colorado.edu
04/29/2008 10:11 AM
Please respond to
siouan at lists.colorado.edu

siouan at lists.colorado.edu, "Rankin, Robert L" <rankin at ku.edu>
cc

Subject
RE: Frida Hahn

Quoting "Rankin, Robert L" <rankin at ku.edu>:

> Willem,
>
> I'm afraid I can't remember WHY I have always assumed she was Jewish.
>  I either heard or read it somewhere I considered authoritative, I
> think.  The assumption is backed up by the people in Oklahoma among
> whom she worked however.
>
> Bob

Thanks Bob.  Since the Ponca people say that she was Jewish from
Germany, that was the correct assumption.  Probably not the same person
as the Nebraskan Frida Hahn from Russia who might have been Volga
Germans and therefore not Jewish?  Just guessing...