Frida Hahn

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Apr 29 16:02:00 UTC 2008

Tom, Bob, Willem,

Thanks for your perspectives.  That clarifies the issue a lot.

I suppose "our" Frida's family might have been Volga German and still be
Jewish, but it would be hard to connect the Lincoln Frida with a linguist
from Germany who was later recalled to Germany.  On the other hand, as
Willem points out, either the Lincoln Frida or a German Frieda might have
gone to Germany voluntarily in the late 1930s to visit family or for other
reasons, even if she was Jewish.  And again, Jewish or not, she might have
died in the war for any number of reasons, not necessarily in a German
concentration camp.

The possible connection with Code Talkers that Tom brings up is
fascinating.  It would certainly be wonderful to find documentation of
that in German archives.

If Frida was a student of Franz Boas, wouldn't there be academic records
somewhere that would tell where she was from?

Rory