Opening page of "Brave Against the Enemy" (1944)

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Feb 5 17:55:11 UTC 2008

> E.g. 'kunsyakel' : I'm not sure exactly why the father would be
'pretending/simulating' anything, at this point?!
Unless 'kunsyakel' here has a weakened sense, meaning not much more than :
"apparently/seemingly/to outward appearances"?
But of course for that idea we have s'elecheca/s'ele/s'e/sekse.

I'm guessing the "seemingly" sense is approximately correct here, which
would mean that kunsyakel doesn't necessarily imply that the pretense is
false.  Perhaps kunsyakel suggests an active/volitional role in the
appearance that is lacking in the s'elecheca/s'ele/s'e/sekse set, which
might be too weak and passive for the author's intentions.  While the
latter set might give: "The father seemed totally bewildered...", using
kunsyakel the result might be: "The father was actively emitting signals
of total bewilderment...", surely a much more powerful and humorous way of
expressing the situation.

Sounds like you have found a wonderful resource.  Thanks for sharing!

Rory