a JOD H. cognate entry

Iren Hartmann wipamankere at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 16 21:25:06 UTC 2010

Bob,

I guess what made me doubt that it’s Hoocąk was the fact that it’s a sort
of motion verb that starts with an /a/. There are hardly any verbs in
Hoocąk that begin with /a/, and most those have incorporated the noun aa ’arm’.
Unless it is a combination of aaki (across) + a deictic motion verb (gii?!),
but then where does the /u/ come from?
The only other plausible analysis I can think of is that it’s a combination
of hagu ’fetch’ and gii ’arrive back there’
If you can shed any more light on this I’m more than willing to check it
with a speaker when I’m back in the field this May.

Cheers,
Iren