School: ttappuska

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Jul 23 21:03:57 UTC 2010

Thanks, Justin.  That helps a lot!

I looked up 'school' and 'teacher' in the Pawnee dictionary at the AISRI
website you offered.  'Teacher' is a long thing derived from the native
verb 'to teach'.  'School' has about seven different entries.  Two are
loanwords from English 'school'.  For taapuska, the Derivation box says:
"borrowing ?"  So presumably it is not analyzable in Pawnee.

Your information that the Kaw Mission pastor in the 19th century was
called ttappĆ³ska goes along with what I seem to see in Omaha and Osage,
that the term originally referred to the teacher, not the school.  It's
interesting that it has come to be used as the verb 'teach'; I haven't
seen that elsewhere.  Does the word also mean 'school' in Kaw nowadays?

Thanks!
Rory

"Justin McBride" <jmcbride at kawnation.com>
Sent by: owner-siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU
07/23/2010 01:12 PM
Please respond to
siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU

<siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU>
cc

Subject
Re: School: ttappuska

Rory,

It's definitely in Kaw. The Kaw Mission pastor in the 19th century, Thomas
Huffaker, was called ttappĆ³ska by the students. Plus, Bob's 20th century
consultant Maude Rowe used it to mean 'teach.'

Also, I'm sure Linda knows Doug's email address just in case he's not a
member of the board. But either way, I think a lot of his Pawnee
dictionary data are available on the AISRI website at
http://zia.aisri.indiana.edu/~dictsearch/. Just use the pull-down menu to
switch between languages and dialects.

I hope this helps,
-Justin