telicity marking in Siouan and Caddoan

David Erschler erschler at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 19:13:50 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,

I am a Moscow typologist involved in a research on the sensitivity of the
duration adverbial marking on the telicity of situation.

In quite a few languages of the world, telic and atelic situations are
modified with different duration adverbials. For instance, in English the
difference shows in the choice of preposition:

(i) atelic situation: "for-adverbial"
 Bill ate apples for/*in an hour.
(ii) telic situation: "in-adverbial"
Bill ate all apples in/*for an hour.
[Sometimes it is called the Vendler or the Dowty telicity test.]

Apparently, the degree to which telicity is grammaticalized varies highly
across the world's languages. Not less so does vary the marking of duration
adverbials.

I am trying to collect a sufficiently representative sample of
"in-adverbials" and "for-adverbials" marking in the world's languages. So
far, I could not find any references on the telicity sensitivity of duration
adverbials in Siouan or Caddoan. (Or, for that, matter, anything about the
aspect in any of  those languages.)  I would greatly appreciate any
information or reference suggestions.

With best wishes,
David Erschler

--