transcription estimate and best practices inquiry

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Thu Mar 25 20:06:09 UTC 2010

The variables here are many and all are important.

First, I think it is likely that few to none of the current Omaha speakers can be considered "native" in the sense in which it's used in South America.  To me "native" implies native language *dominant*.  I feel that most of the Omaha speakers are now English-dominant, even if they remember Omaha pretty well.  This will make for some interference from English.

Second, my students in intro linguistics always had problems transcribing English.  Part of the problem was the newness of phonetic transcription and interference from English spelling, but part of it was the fluid nature of colloquial English speech registers.  No matter how fluent the speaker, transcription takes lots of practice unless the person is a phonetic prodigy.

Third, as for linguists, it will depend on how well you really know the language.  It took me quite awhile to become confident of my ability to distinguish the 4 manners of stops, especially the difference between CC and Ch.  It seems so simple and obvious now, but then -- not so much.  Long and short vowels were even worse.  I missed them pretty much entirely for over a decade.  Finally I figured out that the accented ones were pretty easy; they had falling pitch in discourse.  I thought I had it figured out until I realized that the unaccented ones didn't usually have the pitch contour.  Nasal vs. oral vowels following nasal consonants remains a problem in many environments.  Transcribing Kaw stories from recordings I made myself, I still have trouble.  Allowing 20 hours per story doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all.  If it takes less time after awhile, so much the better.

Fourth, words in isolation can sometimes be even worse.  The problems of list intonation and the influence of near-homonyms recently discussed arise.  Since I went through the Dorsey Kaw dictionary in alphabetical order, inflection of one verb often contaminated discussion of the next verb in line.  I made all the common mistakes, believe me.  Someday some young linguist looking for a dissertation topic will get hold of my elicitation CDs and write a treatise on how NOT to do field work.  And this was after two years of dialect field work in Romania and a good methodology course (and a pretty fair ear if I do say so myself).

As for the English "asides" on the tapes, my field methods instructor, Larry Thompson the Salishanist, encouraged us to write down all the comments offered by the speaker(s).  They often contain insights the importance of which only emerges much later, and if you didn't write them down, they're gone.  You'll have to use your own judgment, but I'd say that any comment that has to do with the language is worth noting.

Bob