English grammar innovation? New reflexive pronouns?

David Erschler erschler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 16:26:27 UTC 2011

The Google n-gram viewer apparently shows that these forms have been around
at least since early 19th c.
http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/graph?content=theirselves%2C+themself&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=0&smoothing=0

Best,
David

--
Dr. David Erschler

Tübinger Zentrum für Linguistik (SFB 833)
Nauklerstrasse 35
D - 72074  Tuebingen/Germany
Tel. +49 (0)7071-2977437
Fax. +49 (0)7071-295830

and

Department for Protein Evolution
Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology
Spemannstrasse 35
72076 Tuebingen/Germany
Tel. +49-(0)7071-601451
Fax  +49-(0)7071-601352