NAME

Greer, Jill Greer-J at MSSU.EDU
Thu Aug 16 16:14:53 UTC 2012

Catherine,

Thanks!  It truly is a draft still.  The thing that will be clear from the get go is that I'm trying make it for the native community,  not for the professionals.  So it may be a little annoying to have my attempts to teach a few terms,  and there may be better ways to explain things than I have done so far.  And my hope of having an annotated text with the digital file to accompany it frame by frame hasn't been realized yet,  so the appendix is empty.  The papers I gave at WhiteCloud and Lincoln are the texts referenced there.

Also,  I have not put in the consonant clusters (it will be a tedious chore) in the phonology section.  Is that really necessary for this kind of document?  And representing the irregular verb paradigms is another chore not finished.  But,  I think I'm stuck without some feedback.

I don't know there are too many ideas to steal,  other than dropping the standard IJAL outline that I really hate.  I just could not keep doing the 1.1.a stuff :).

Thanks -  I think it will be okay -  he's in a wing of the dorms devoted to Honors freshmen exclusively, so the geeks can all hang out together and hopefully not get beat up!

I don't know where it went,  but I'm hoping for a rainy fall to bring back some green somewhere.  It was good to see you,  and I sorry I didn't jump in and make it to the early dinner Saturday night.  If I had the nerve to go dancing,  I'd have jumped right in there, but I confess I really don't know how, and was a little worried I'd end up being a "5th wheel." That entire conference I was out of sorts -  running behind on getting my paper together, and not getting it quite to a decent form.  I wish the conference were later in the summer, since that's pretty much my only time for doing any language work.   I love the ideas and folks, but always manage to say more than I should and then spend the drive home feeling I need to apologize to half of my fellow Siouanists :(.   I'm working on the tongue control issue in many aspect of life.

Enough of my blathering.  I have one more syllabus to finish before Monday!

Best,
Jill

P.S.  Our home computer where I wrote this has Vista, and there may be some font issues.
From: Siouan Linguistics [mailto:SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] On Behalf Of Catherine Rudin
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:09 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: NAME

Jill,
I'd like to take a look at your grammar sketch too.
Mark and I need to do one to go with the OP dictionary. It's possible I'll have some useful comments for you -- I'll do my best! -- but mostly hope to steal some of your ideas.

Good luck to your baby boy in college!  Freshman move-in day here is Friday -- where did the summer go?

Catherine

>>> "Rankin, Robert L." 08/15/12 11:25 AM >>>
> remember,  those pesky young freshman are somebody's babies

They're all over Lawrence this week buying new T-shirts.  Geez, they look like junior high  kids.

> (My eldest son starts U of Arkansas this year.)

That's simply not possible.  I remember when he was born.  I can't possibly be that old.

> If anyone is seriously interested in commenting on my grammar sketch in progress,  let me know, and I'll send you a copy.

YES, absolutely!  I've never seen it.  Linda and I are thinking about doing a full fledged Kaw grammar.  It would be great to see what you are doing.

> A few corrections and additions have been made to the version that's on Jimm's site now,  but I want to get it in near final form before we change it out again, and it's always nice to have someone else's eye (not to mention brain) take a look.

This email may contain identifiable personal information that is subject to protection under state and federal law. This information is intended for the use of the individual named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be punishable by law. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us immediately by electronic mail (reply).