Update and more info on SCLC

David Kaufman dvkanth2010 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 14 02:37:19 UTC 2012

Hi all,

We are only about a month away from our conference, and I wanted to update
you on, and remind you of, a few things:

(1) SCLC begins at *9:00 am Fri Jun 15* and continues until *12:30 pm Sun
Jun 17*.

(2) For those of you staying in campus housing, your rooms should be
available beginning 2:00 pm on Thurs Jun 14.  Your rooms will be at
the *Margaret
Amini *and* K.K. Amini Halls*, 1312 and 1318 Louisiana St., between 13th
and 14th (on the campus map, attached below, find the green numbers 122 and
124 and you're there). They are among the newest and most modern
accommodations KU has to offer.  It is about a 10-15 min. walk from these
Halls to *Wescoe* at 1445 Jayhawk Blvd., where the conference room will
be.  The first part of the walk from the Halls will be slightly uphill, but
not steep.  (Walking downtown from there, though, will entail a steep climb
coming back.)  There is a parking lot at the Amini Halls. There is no
smoking or alcoholic beverages allowed in the rooms.

(3) For those of you with cars, on Fri you will have to pay *$8.00*
for an *all-day
parking pass*, if you are driving onto campus and parking by Wescoe (where
there are parking spots in back, or at any *yellow zone* parking space).
You don't need to worry about this on the weekend, as parking and campus
access is not restricted on those days.  (You will have to stop at the *Docking
Family* campus gate on Jayhawk Blvd. en route to Wescoe from your Halls
rooms; this is where you pay on Fri.)  Also, for anyone driving who has a
disabled placard, you can get a pass at this gate to park in special zones
behind Wescoe.

(4) The Amini Halls are a short walk (about a block) from the new *Oread
Hotel *(or-ree-ad; not shown on the attached map, but it's right at the end
of Oread Ave. across from the International House). The Oread's 10 floors
include gathering rooms, eateries (e.g., Jimmy John's, Slice of History
Pizza, Five 21 Restaurant, Be Sweet), Starbucks, and several bars,
including themed lounges on each parking garage level (one with dancing
floor), and a 9th floor terrace with views of Lawrence with food and
drinks.  There is also a breakfast bar beginning each morning at 7:00.

(5) The *last* day for making campus room reservations at the Halls is *Sun
May 20* (next Sunday).  After this time there is no guarantee of room
availability and you may have to stay in other lodgings.

(6) *No meals* are included with your rooms, although bringing in your own
snacks is fine.  Breakfast, lunch, and dinner will have to be taken away
from the Halls at the Oread or other places around town.  (The *Wescoe
cafeteria* will be open for lunch only on Friday.)

(7) If you are flying into Kansas City (MCI), please let us know what your
planned arrival time is.  There are three of us (Bob, Kathy, me) that can
make up to three pick-ups.  I have not yet received info on the KU shuttle
to be run by CoLang starting Sunday pm, but it is a possibility you can
take this back to the airport to avoid expensive taxi or shuttle charges.
(More on this when I find out for sure.)

(8) If you have not yet submitted an abstract (not required) but would like
to, you can send it along anytime.  We can put abstracts received with the
schedule later on.

On another note, we are thinking of having a side table in the conference
room (besides one for snacks and drinks) for books related to Siouan or
Caddoan languages and linguistics that have been published in the past
couple of years or so, or ones that you would like to otherwise advertise.
I'm thinking we may only need a single copy as a reference copy with
perhaps a note as to where to order it.  How does this sound to everyone?

Here are a couple of maps to help you get your bearings:
http://www.maps.ku.edu/  (campus map: use the onscreen hand to "pull" the
map to where you want to go)
http://admissions.ku.edu/visit/maps.shtml

This is all for now; we'll be in touch!