Tutelo verb 'go'

David Kaufman dvkanth2010 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 14 21:13:23 UTC 2013

Hi all,

It seems Tutelo's verb 'go' takes a patientive/object rather than
active/subject pronoun prefix, wi- instead of wa-.  Does any other Siouan
language do this?  (I can't compare with Biloxi since it lost this
agent/patient distinction in pronouns.)  I'm particularly interested in
this because two Lower Mississippi Valley languages, Atakapa and
Chitimacha, also seem to take patientive/object instead of active/subject
pronouns with the verb 'go.'  At first I thought this was strange and
counterintuitive, but now I'm seeing it may be a more common phenomenon
well beyond the Mississippi Valley.  Any thoughts?

Dave

--
David Kaufman, Ph.C.
University of Kansas