"Saponi" word list.

Rankin, Robert L. rankin at KU.EDU
Sun Jun 16 22:07:02 UTC 2013

Thanks for the help with the vocab., Marianne.  Obviously I can't judge the Iroquoianess of the numeral terms, but I agree with Dave that the handwritten original may well have contained ambiguities.  I'm quite sure that at least two or three of the Siouan terms got confused.  I mention these in the discussion.  Penmanship is at the center of several controversial names in those early documents.

Take the name "Steukenocks", one of the Virginia tribes.  There are a variety of spellings, but it's clear that the "eu" diphthong is really "en", the regular reflex of nasal */ą / in the Tutelo as transcribed by several linguists.  What was interpreted as "u" was really a cursive "n".  The name is stąk-a-nąk-s 'island on-dwell aspect/mode suffix.  And it clearly means 'island dwellers'.  And of course several colonial documents mention prominently that the Tutelos, Saponies and Occaneechis all lived on islands in the river, presumably for protection.  There are all kinds of these handwriting puzzles.

The facsimile of the list in the Alexander publication is pretty clear, but it is a copy of a copy, and I have no way to check the original if it even exists still.

Bob
________________________________
From: Siouan Linguistics [SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu] on behalf of David costa [pankihtamwa at EARTHLINK.NET]
Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2013 1:24 PM
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu
Subject: Re: "Saponi" word list.

I'm away from my materials for a few days, but I recall that the two probable Iroquoian numbers in the vocabulary weren't as clean a match for any known language as the obviously Algonquian numbers (all the rest). I wouldn't sweat the vowel discrepancy with 'two', since we don't have the original manuscript to consult and it's entirely possible that the 'o' is a misreading for handwritten 'e'. Either way those two numbers don't match anything in Algonquian or Siouan.

Dave C