Conjugation Of A Sentence in Tutelo-Saponi

Rory Larson rlarson1 at UNL.EDU
Mon May 27 18:24:50 UTC 2013

Ø  It seems that "pi" is used to mean smell and good both. Kind of confusing. Also what is desiderative? Some of these linguistic terms I don't know.

Desiderative would imply that the thing is desired.  I’m also very interested in this particle, and in how it is used.  I assume the basic idea is that when you put “pi” after a verb, it means that someone wants the verb to be done, though not necessarily something they want to do themself.

In Biloxi, there is a particle “hi” that is used in several different ways, including ones that might be considered desiderative.  I think Dave describes it as a sort of “weak” future, used for future events that aren’t set in stone.  It might be used where someone intends to do something, or is thinking about doing something.  It is also used for whatever someone is telling someone else to do.  In some cases, it might be translated as “should” or “ought”.  Some examples of its uses:

The Rabbit and the brier patch (Dorsey texts, 1:17):

Asóⁿ   ayíⁿsihí-xti               kó,      asóⁿ    íⁿnoⁿdá             hi                    na.
Briers you=fear-greatly since, briers I=throw=you INTENTION MALE_EMPHATIC.
Considering that you greatly fear the briers, I think I'll throw you into the briers, yeah!

Telling someone to do something (8:19):

Úa           hí           ki-é-di                   koⁿní-yaⁿ-kaⁿ.
Cook=it should to=her-said-he mother-that=one-then.
He told his mother to cook it.

Indirect command (29:4):

Aⁿxtí       naⁿké-di                       yákida                 hí,           é-dí           ná.          Iyáⁿsi-xtí,                    é-dí          ná.
Woman sitting=over=there you=go=home should, says-she EMPH.  You=smell-greatly, says-she EMPH.
That woman sitting over yonder says you should go home.  She says you stink!

Subjunctive or unfocussed command, as in “Let it be so!” (8:9):

Kiówo     utohó                    hí.
Another lie=down=in=it let.
Let another lie down in it.

Should, ought, supposed to  (8:22):

ⁿdúx-ni           hí         yuhí.
I=eat=it-not ought she=thought.
I am not to eat it, she thought.

I’m wondering if this sort of functionality is what Oliverio has in mind when she describes Tutelo “pi” as “desiderative”.  I’d really like to see some Tutelo text, with examples of desiderative “pi” in context.

Best,
Rory