Borrowings.

Pamela Munro munro at UCLA.EDU
Tue Sep 10 01:05:53 UTC 2013

I have an alternative view on Western Muskogean 'nine'.

Chickasaw chákka'li / chakká'li 'to be nine' (cognate to the Choctaw
forms Bob cites) seems quite clearly to be a g[eminate]-grade form (i.e.
ablauted aspectual form) of a verb chakali 'to be pregnant, great with
child', which my Chickasaw teacher knows but regards as Choctaw.

You might not immediately see a connection between 'nine', and
'pregnant', but a variety of languages express 'nine' as something like
'just about ready to reach (something, i.e. ten)', so I believe that
these two verbs are in fact related. This suggests that the WM forms
have their own etymology and thus aren't likely to be loans.

Bob is correct that -li can be a verb ending in these languages (e.g. in
chokma 'to be good' / chokmali 'to make good'). I don't know any
evidence that the -li in 'to be nine' is segmentable, however, unless
one believes that all verb-final li's are segmentable.

Pam

--
Pamela Munro,
Distinguished Professor, Linguistics, UCLA