citation/quotation conventions for list?

Saul Schwartz sschwart at PRINCETON.EDU
Fri Apr 25 18:51:37 UTC 2014

Dear David,

Touché. Sure, feel free to forward my post. Personally, I think of the List
as a kind of public archive---I'm just not sure if everyone feels that way
or not. Thus, in my opinion, people could cite posts just as they would
anything they found online, e.g., name, date, title, link, whatever the
style manual they're using requires. If, on the other hand, the convention
is to check with someone before citing/quoting, then they may prefer some
other arrangement---for example, they may be ok with being quoted but don't
want their name to be cited.

It occurs to me, though, that in the draft of my paper, I didn't name names
nor did I check with Bryan, Jimm, and Willem beforehand to see if they
wanted to be credited or remain anonymous. So, that is clearly *not* an
ethical option.

Unless a consensus emerges that members see the List as a kind of public
archive (which is de facto what it is since it is archived online where
anyone can access it), I will treat communication on the List as I would
emails between colleagues (which is what it usually feels like) and
therefore contact posters individually to request permission to cite/quote.

All best,
Saul