Analysis of an Ioway name

Iren Hartmann wipamankere at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 2 16:56:49 UTC 2014

Jimm,

the only thing that comes to mind is the Hoocąk word hirukąną ’control, be in charge of (v.tr.); boss (n.)’ Could they be cognate?
rukąną on the other hand is ’to woo, or court someone’.

Best,
Iren

Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 11:31:33 -0500
From: jgoodtracks at GMAIL.COM
Subject: Analysis of an Ioway name
To: SIOUAN at listserv.unl.edu

Can anyone figure out the analysis of the Ioway name of a
small boy, who with his father, traveled to Europe in the early 1800’s with
George Catlin.  The name was written as seen below and given the gloss of
“Commanding General.”  The word “wadánwe” could very well be the first
part, but I come up with nothing for the last part of the name.  There is:
búkara
n.
dry (as
a river or creek) (LzH),  which I do not
believe to fit here.

Watawebukana,  “Commanding General”,  ÑíyuMañi (Raining’s
son).
wadánwe ~ wádanwe  n/adj/v.i.
give, pay attention; mindfull(ness), regardful; heed, take
heed; aware, be aware; note, take notice; concentration.  **SEE: wadána.