Accommodations and tentative schedule for SCLC 34

Meredith Johnson majohnson25 at WISC.EDU
Thu Mar 20 04:49:11 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Thank you for all the questions, comments and feedback. Here are some responses, and please let me know if I missed anything.

A few people in this thread have mentioned doing something at the conference to honor Dr. Rankin, which all of the organizers are very much in favor of! Is anyone willing to take the lead on this? If someone could take the initiative and let us know how much time you would like to devote to this, we will put it on the schedule right away. Also of course let us know if you need anything else from us to help put this together!

With respect to accommodations in Madison. There are two Super 8 hotels in Madison. The Madison South location is 3.3 miles from the conference site, which would be a 30 minute bus ride. This Madison East location is a little bit cheaper, but it is 7.3 miles away and a 45 minute bus ride. There's also an Econo Lodge on E Washington that is 7 miles/60 min bus ride away, and the Motel 6 Madison North location is 6 miles/40 minute bus ride away.

Madison is home to a Big Ten university which hosts athletic events, conferences, and other world-renowned events throughout the year.  This is why hotel space near the campus is higher in cost. It's not a huge city, but the downtown ares is located on an isthmus, so space is at a premium and costs reflect that. We wanted to make the conference as cheap and accessible as possible, which is why we opted for free conference space on campus rather than renting out space at a hotel, which would necessitated the charging of a conference fee. We chose a convenient hotel for our block of rooms, since sharing a room at that hotel would be cheaper than getting a single room farther out. We are three grad students organizing the conference, and we often travel to conferences with no funding, so we certainly are sensitive to costs of attending conferences. We recommend either sharing rooms at a hotel by campus, or taking a bus from a more remote hotel for those on a tight budget.

To address your point about Linguist List, Linguist List is an expansive web site utilized by tens of thousands of linguists worldwide to access any all things linguistics-related in the academic field.  We chose to utilize Linguist List for our conference announcement and abstract submission, as many other conferences worldwide do, because of its convenience.  We wanted one central place from which to access and review abstract submissions, to ensure that everything gets handled in an efficient and timely manner, and minimizing the chance of something getting missed lost in communication between the three of us. We're not using Linguist List instead of the Siouan List, we are just taking advantage of certain utilities to help make planning easier.

We also thought it would be advantageous to have one central website for all conference related information so that attendees do not have to sift through old emails to find relevant information. We also recognize the conference might be of interest to people that are not on the Siouan list, so we want all information widely available. (That's also why the conference was announced both here and on the Linguist List). We plan on disseminating all information through the Siouan list as well, so no one needs to rely on checking the website if they do not want to.

We hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best,
Meredith