Lakota/Dakota questions

Jan Ullrich jfu at LAKHOTA.ORG
Tue May 20 16:44:35 UTC 2014

> Would you be able to provide a morpheme-by-morpheme gloss of the sentences?

David, below is a version with more detailed glossing of the verbal morphemes.

1) This morning I went hunting.

Híŋhaŋni wa-khúl o-má-wa-ni.

morning / non.specific.patient-shoot.at.sth.sb (truncated form of wakhúte) / locative.(about)-stem-1SG.AG-stem(to.walk)

2) I cannot cook

a) Lol’íȟaŋ-pi uŋ-má-spe šni. – I don’t know how to cook. (literally: I don’t know how to do cooking.)

to.cook-3PL.AG / stem-1SG.PAT-to.know.how.to.do.smth / not

(The 3rd plural affix –pi nominalizes the verb lol’íȟ’aŋ, so the meaning of the first words is ‘cooking’).

b) Lol’-í-wa-ȟ’aŋ o-wá-kihi šni. – I can’t cook (I am unable at the moment or under given circumstances).

Food-loc-1SG.AG-act / stem-1SG.AG-stem(can/able) / not

c) Tókheni(š) lol’íwaȟ’aŋ šni. – There is no way I could cook (under given circumstance).

In no way(adversative) / food-loc-1SG.AG-act / not

(There are a number of verbs for “to cook“, although the one I used is most common today.)

3) I came chasing someone.

Tuwá khuwá a-wá-hi.

Someone / to.chase.sb.sth / loc-1SG.AG-to.come.here

 The verb ahí (1SG.AG: awáhi) means ‘to bring sth/sb’, so the literal meaning is “I brought someone here chasing him/her.” To my knowledge Lakota always uses bringing/taking verbs rather than coming/going verbs in this construction.

Jan