Incl/excl pronouns in SLs: Summary

Donald/Theresa Grushkin DonTheresaGrushkin at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Tue Jul 7 18:12:52 UTC 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Kearsy Cormier <kearsy at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU>

>I'm claiming that the incl/excl distinction also exists in American Sign
>Language, with the citation form WE as the neutral (not necessarily
>inclusive or exclusive) form, and a sign similar to WE - but offset to
>either the signer's right or left side - as the exclusive form.

I would agree with this.  If you mean citation WE as "index finger touching
shoulder to shoulder in a semicircle", this is inclusive of all, including
possibly the recipient of the message (although not necessarily so).  The
other sign (TWO-OF-US or THREE-OF-US), etc., if signed to the side, are
exclusive, as you say (although of course, they can also be inclusive, if
signed in neutral space in front of the signer).

--Don Grushkin