trying to execute a change of address

Mark Mandel Mark at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed Oct 14 21:25:57 UTC 1998

Today I sent a message to slling-l through my company's reconfigured mail system
 and got a bounce.
The bounce message read:

 You  are  not  authorized  to  send   mail  to  the  SLLING-L  list  from  your
Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM account. You might be  authorized to send to the list
from another of your accounts, or perhaps when using another mail program which
generates slightly  different addresses, but  LISTSERV has no way  to associate
this other account or address with yours. If you need assistance or if you have
any question regarding the policy of the SLLING-L list, please contact the list
owners: SLLING-L-request at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA.
<<<

So I sent a request to that address, SLLING-L-request at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA, by
copying it and pasting it into the address field. And I got the *following*
 bounce:

<SLLING-L-request at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA>

... while talking to admin.humberc.on.ca.:
>>> RCPT To:<SLLING-L-request at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA>
<<< 550 User 'SLLING-L-request' Unknown
550 <SLLING-L-request at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA>... User unknown
<<<

IS THERE ANYBODY HOME?

The text of my request was as follows:

 My company has recently switched our mail system around, changing my
effective email address. The old one, mark at dragonsys.com, still works
incoming, and I *can* use it outgoing from Novell GroupWise (for a while
longer, anyway); but our default mail system is now Lotus Notes mail with
this address, Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com. Would you please switch my
subscription and authorization to the new address? I will send confirmation
<<<

(I am sending THIS message from the old address.)

And as for the message I was trying to send in the first place, I will send it,
too, from this address. But that is a short-term and unsatisfactory fix.

       Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist : mark at dragonsys.com
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 796-0267
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/