(crosspost) sign language & aphasia

Mark Mandel Mark at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed Oct 14 21:26:39 UTC 1998

         The following appeared in LINGUIST List #9-1409.
                Please do NOT reply to me, but
      direct any responses directly to the original poster
                  at the address given below.

Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 18:29:13 +0200
From: Sean Golden <sgolden at cc.uab.es>
Subject: QS: sign language & aphasia

I recall having read recently that studies of aphasia in signers (sign
language users) in Japan had revealed problems in the recognition of words
that were written phonetically (problems of recognition similar to those
experienced by speakers when confronted with written text), but that they
siffered no impairmanet of their ability to recognise ideograms (kanji,
Chinese written characters). Can anyone supply me with any bibliographical
references on this topic?

Dr. Sean Golden
Dean of the Faculty
Facultat de Traduccio i Interpretacio
Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
08193 Bellaterra, BARCELONA, Spain
PLEASE NOTE CHANGES TO TELEPHONE NUMBERS:
Tel:    +34 935811374
FAX:  +34 935811037
E-mail: sgolden at cc.uab.es