Writing by Hand

SignWriting DAC at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Sat Oct 31 15:37:00 UTC 1998

>Recently, Trevor Jenkins <Trevor.Jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM> wrote here:
>
>> I am frequently asked if SignWriting can be written by hand. Yes, ...
>> writing SW by hand has not gone out of style. ... a new series of
>> lessons, ... on the web at ... http://www.SignWriting.org
>
>When I looked at the lessons and the Web page it was ASL-centric. Being in
>England and learning BSL I'm left wondering whether this notation can be
>modified to support BSL (If so how?) or whether there is a similar written
>notation that will accommodate BSL?

>Regards, Trevor
______________________________

Hello Trevor -
Thanks for this inquiry. I can certainly understand that you need a way to
write BSL signs.

In general, the SignWriting system is used to record 14 signed languages,
and our computer program supports those 14 signed languages. And yes...BSL
is one of them. We can even type two-handed fingerspelling :-)

In England it's use, up until now, has been more "research oriented". You
can read about SignWriting in the UK (in research) on this web page:

SignWriting In the UK
http://www.SignWriting.org/sw115.html

Recently, a person from the UK wrote to say they would like to start using
SignWriting for BSL in the educational system in the UK. They wondered if
our SignWriting Literacy Project, which is slowly taking hold in the
American and Canadian school systems, couldn't be set up in the UK school
systems as well?  This could be done, if there is a teacher in the UK who
is interested in experimenting.

In regards to the SignWritingSite being more "ASL focused", you are correct
there. This is mainly because we are trying to help the teachers in the USA
to learn to write ASL. But if there is more interest in the UK someday, we
could start a section on the web for BSL too.

Meanwhile, I will be happy to help you through the process of writing BSL
signs for your own personal use if you would like. We are considering
setting up a SW Pen Pal Club in BSL, which inspires people to write signs.
So write to me privately, if you would like more information...

All the best -

Valerie :-)

mailto:DAC at SignWriting.org

Visit the SignWritingSite: