Leads on ASL legal terminology

Linda Lee Lonning lonning at CSD.UWM.EDU
Wed Feb 10 18:01:20 UTC 1999

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999 stringd at burgoyne.com wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> Am trying to find any sources, links, or leads on presenting/expressing
> legal terminology in ASL. Many thanks in advance. You may respond via the
> SLLING list or privately.
>
> Thank you.
>
> DS
>
> ----------------------------------
> Doug Stringham, ASL Instructor
> Utah Valley State College, Orem, Utah
> stringd at burgoyne.com
> ----------------------------------

Dear all:

I am very proud that in Wisconsin we have some wonderful resources (and
more and more are being cultivated!)

As a really good reference and lead to others knowledgeable in the area of
issues relating to interpreting in legal settings contact

PROFESSIONAL INTERPRETING ENTERPRISE (PIE) of Greenfield, Wisconsin at

PIELLC at EXECPC.COM

Another great resource that the PIE folks can lead you to is our state
chapter of RID--WisRID.  We are, as I understand it, quite involved and
seeking to address the issues surrounding interpreting in legal settings.
We have begun what's called "A Legal Interpreting Institute" which is a
series of training sessions geared specifically to interpreting in this
setting.

Please also be aware that a bunch o' legal terminology (albeit, signed)
and put forth by some entity as a technical lexicon on the subject is not
the be-all-end-all and is most likely somewhat misleading and, at worst,
vocabulary in a vacuum, of sorts.  I'm sure that the references I've
passed on here will be able to explain in more detail.

Good luck on your search for information!