names of signed languages

jmacfarl at UNM.EDU jmacfarl at UNM.EDU
Mon Feb 15 15:17:12 UTC 1999

I agree with Ulrike regarding the assignment of names for signed
languages according to the political country where it is used.

One example of this practice gone bad is the SIL's ethnologue of
languages.  Here, they state that Canadian Sign Language (and
they are not talking about LSQ) is a distinct signed language.  To the
best of my knowledge this is not the case.