names of signed languages

Tane Akamatsu tanea at IBM.NET
Mon Feb 15 16:07:42 UTC 1999

Speaking of geo-political borders.....
In Canada, the signed language is called ASL, although I have seen some attempt
being made to refer to it as CSL, as distinct from LSQ.  Now that's the real
geo-political separator.  But look where LSQ happens: Quebec.  What's the
 difference
between Quebec and the rest of Canada?  The ubiquitousness of French.  Its not
 QSL
or FCSL (French Canadian).

Yes, THE ASL, because.......
a) the languages are completely mutually intelligible (trust me, I'm an ex-pat
American, living and working in Toronto)
b) any differences are at the lexical level, and there are several, but no more
 than
moving from one part of the US to another (which I have also done)
c) there must be other reasons......the US and Canada have the longest
 undefended
border in the world, they are each others' largest trading partners, despite the
bickering you see on TV or the dissing that some Canadians do of the US, there
 IS
peace and harmony between the two countries.  Mostly, Canada spends its time
deciding and defending the reasons why its not the US, and I think that's where
 the
"CSL" comes from.

Tane Akamatsu