names of signed languages

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at UNM.EDU
Tue Feb 16 22:27:06 UTC 1999

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Tane Akamatsu wrote:

> But look where LSQ happens: Quebec.  What's the difference between
> Quebec and the rest of Canada?  The ubiquitousness of French.

        Of French culture, more specifically.  The story I've heard is
that one of the first two residential schools in Quebec used LSF (for
girls) and the other used ASL (for boys).  As I understand it, ASL is
still used among Quebeckers who identify with English Canadian culture.

                                -Angus B. Grieve-Smith
                                Linguistics Department
                                The University of New Mexico
                                grvsmth at unm.edu