EC-workshop in Klagenfurt

Franz Dotter franz.dotter at UNI-KLU.AC.AT
Wed Jan 13 09:52:12 UTC 1999

Dear colleagues!

Although the issue mainly concerns people from EC countries, we want to inform you about a workshop taking place in Klagenfurt: Please note that especially for the planned exhibition contributions from all countries (e.g. projects, practicable materials for school and adult education etc.) are very welcome! Perhaps we also can install a sort of contact forum for the European deaf to Non-European. So, Non-Europeans please tell your interest (in special questions or in general).

The EU-workshop we are organizing under the guidance of the Austrian Deaf Association for February, 25 - 28, 1999 is aimed at giving a comprehensive survey of deaf-related research, projects, and initiatives. Each EU-country may send four to five representatives (plus sign language interpreters). The deaf participants should report on the national situation of the deaf and the deaf or hearing scientists should give a general summary of research on deaf topics or present specific scientific projects. All presentations have to focus on results which have practical applications.

The suggestions, requests and wishes of the deaf, collected in the course of the workshop, will be summarized in a final document and passed on to the European Commission as well as to the individual EU-countries as concrete recommendations.

Please let us know if you want to take part in the workshop. Regardless of your participation, we kindly ask you to present your work:

1.      We are planning a small exhibition of deaf-related material during the workshop. Therefore we would ask you to send us relevant material of your country:
                                information about projects dealing with deaf issues
                course material (books, video-tapes, CD-ROMs)
                references to recent deaf-specific studies
                information on initiatives of the deaf and on deaf culture

2.      In addition, we would ask you to pass this invitation on to other institutions working on deaf topics and/or to let us know their addresses.
3.      Please contact us in case you have any suggestions or wishes which should be included in the final document.

4.      The following points only refer to schools and other educational institutions:
        Please send us as much information as possible with regard to:
                                highly recommendable teaching models and models used in school
                        teaching material
        school curricula
        specific educational projects for the deaf

5.      These questions only concern self-help organizations:
                                Are you satisfied with the present organizational form? Is there anything you would like to change or improve?
                        How accessible is information? How co-operative are official institutions?

You will find the first announcement for the EU-workshop *Steps Towards an Improvement of the Participation of Deaf Persons in the Information Society*, February 25-28 1999, Klagenfurt as an attachment.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Franz Dotter

University of Klagenfurt
Research Center for Sign Language and Communication of the Hearing Impaired
(of the Faculty for Cultural Sciences at the Department of Linguistics and Computational Linguistics)
Funded by: Bundessozialamt Kaernten, European Social Fund
Head: Franz Dotter
Collaborators: Elisabeth Bergmeister (deaf), Marlene Hilzensauer, Klaudia Krammer, Andrea Skant, Ingeborg Okorn (deaf), Manuela Hobel (deaf)
Homepage: http://www.uni-klu.ac.at/fzgs
Deaf server (in German): http://deaf.uni-klu.ac.at