Antw: Re: Agreement or indicating verbs?

Franz Dotter franz.dotter at UNI-KLU.AC.AT
Tue Jun 1 19:19:33 UTC 1999

Dear colleagues!

My article "Sign language 'between' gestures (nonverbal behavior) and spoken language?" has just been published in Language Typology and Universals (Berlin) 52 (1999), 3-21.
There I argue for assuming two sign types which are central for sign languages (may perhaps occur in spoken languages?), emerging from 'spatial grammar', namely the Index and the so-called 'productive' signs (i.e. signs flexible in coding additional meaning by additional parameter settings). And I try to analyse te metaphors used to deal with sign languages linguistically.

Best regards

Franz Dotter