Continuous vs. Repetitive inflection in ASL

Linda Lee Lonning lonning at CSD.UWM.EDU
Wed May 12 15:14:29 UTC 1999

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Don & Theresa G wrote:

> [...]
Hi all--

Alright all you Spanish language gurus out there, chime in here.  This
dialog here reminds me of how spoken and written Spanish delineate their
verbs  (los verbos---remember everybody??! :)  into "preterite" and I
**think** it was "imperfect" ones for the purposes of conjugating them.  I
remember having to tease out in my mind "Ok, was this action of a certain
duration, but a discrete interval...then it fit one category...and I would
conjugate it this way..." and whatnot.  Maybe this is a nice parallel here
that would help us make a helpful comparison here.  Get out those old
Spanish 101 and 102 course books!

Linda L. Lonning, BS, CT, WITA I2 T1
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN--MILWAUKEE Part-time Staff
Community Interpreter