Agreement or indicating verbs?

Joe Martin n9620132 at CC.WWU.EDU
Mon May 24 21:34:40 UTC 1999

Likewise I agree that it has major implications. It seems to me that all
Scott Liddell is doing is asking us to (once again) redefine our notion of
what language is.  :-)
The only counterargument that seems possible is that those "words" with
infinite formational parameters are linguistic--which abandons the
requirement for duality of patterning, I suspect.

In any case, there is no question that a) the physical location in space
of a referent is a non-linguistic piece of data. b) this location is
important and interacts in some crucial way with syntactic structures.
Nor is it limited to only signed languages; this linking of Lx and non-Lx
elements occurs in most "shifters," i.e. the English sentences "What is
that?" or "I know him" are effectively meaningless without some type of
indicating gesture.

So Scott is asking us to make up our minds--either diectic gestures are
linguistic, as claimed by the Sign camp, or they are non-linguistic, as
claimed by the Spoken camp. We can't have it both ways.

Joe Martin
Plain Old Ordinary Student
Western Washington U
Top Left Corner, USA