genetic classification of sl

Ulrike Zeshan ulrike.zeshan at ANU.EDU.AU
Wed Nov 10 06:59:50 UTC 1999

Dear list,

I am looking for information about the genetic classification of sign
languages: Which sign languages are known to be genetically related? Are
there family tree models that have been worked out (French sl family,
Japanese sl family...)? What criteria do people use to determine whether
two sign language are genetically related? How could you go about
determining the genetic classification of a so-far undescribed or
underdescribed sign language? What kind of data would you need to look at
to determine whether it is related to other sign languages?

I would appreciate information on these lines. If there are enough

Thank you all.

Ulrike

Ulrike Zeshan
Senior Research Associate