searching for some ASL signs

Mary Arliskas mearlis at NETZERO.NET
Mon Nov 29 06:54:38 UTC 1999

>Don,
>
>While I agree with what you mention as the point of your article, it
struck me

>If you use "F" for 'atom', then what do you use for 'electron', 'proton', and
> 'nucleus'? (BTW, the
>proton and nucleus are in the center, "stuck" together, the electrons float
> around them, in circles
>of valence (new sign needed). And as the number of electrons increase the
number
> of protons
>increase, therefore in virtual-space the use of classifiers will need to
allow
> for growth. I know
>this because I've interpreted this very subject.)
>
>Second, when using a classifier, where is the noun form of 'atom' in the
> utterance. It wouldn't be
>acceptable to just use the "F" classifier without identifying it in some way.
>
>So, what I'm thinking is that we are back at, What is the _SIGN_ for 'atom',
> 'electron', etc.?
>I'm not truly looking for a sign for 'atom' in the way that Richard
originally
> asked. I'm interested
>in how language users invent new signs without violating the requirements
of the
> language
>(phonology, morphology, syntax, etc.).
>
>Sort of, right, wrong? What?
>These are my questions about Inventing new lexical items.

Wow, what a can of worms you have opened. what I think is seminal to
mention here is how important the prior knowledge is about the subject
matter. If the interpreter has a solid foundation in the subject matter at
hand, then the interpretation will proceed (semi) smoothly useing
classifiers and without violation of the requirements of the language of
ASL (thank you victor!). This is all fine and good, but what about that
lovely situation where the poor little terp is called last minute to this
job and cannot remember her high school chem class. It could happen...and I
am sure it has many times.
well, happy fingerspelling to you all!

mary/chicago