name for "@" sign?

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at UNM.EDU
Mon Aug 14 17:27:02 UTC 2000

> The LINGUIST list has just published a request from a linguist who keeps a
> list of the names for this symbol in forty spoken languages and who is
> trying to update it. I would like to be able to submit data on sign
> languages as well.

The ASL signs I've seen (barring the dreaded SEE sign AT) are either a
fingerspelled A-T or an index finger tracing the shape of the @ as one
would write it. I'm a non-native signer, but for the final flourish I tend
to twist my wrist in rather than out, which in a right-handed signer has
the circle going in the opposite direction from the way "@" is represented
typographically (at least in the Monaco font I'm looking at now).

Stay tuned on LIU (Jordanian SL); there are fewer than 5 deaf email users
in the country, but they probalby have some way of expressing it.

Cheers,

Dan.