name for "@" sign?

Mark Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Mon Aug 14 17:51:25 UTC 2000

Dan Parvaz wrote:

The ASL signs I've seen (barring the dreaded SEE sign AT) are either a
fingerspelled A-T or an index finger tracing the shape of the @ as one
would write it. I'm a non-native signer, but for the final flourish I tend
to twist my wrist in rather than out, which in a right-handed signer has
the circle going in the opposite direction from the way "@" is represented
typographically (at least in the Monaco font I'm looking at now).

Stay tuned on LIU (Jordanian SL); there are fewer than 5 deaf email users
in the country, but they probalby have some way of expressing it
<<<<<

Thanks.

Historically the loop on the at-sign has gone counterclockwise: top from
the southeast corner, over the top, and down. That's the typographical
representation that you describe. But I know I've seen at least one
computer font in which from the southeast corner it proceeds down and then
clockwise around the "a".

What do you mean by "stay tuned"? That there are LIU users on this list, or
that you're going to find out and let us know?

-- Mark

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com

This document was created with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.