"finalized" signs

Tane Akamatsu tanea at IBM.NET
Mon Feb 7 16:41:11 UTC 2000

Some dialects of the American version of ASL do.  The double -z- is homophonous
with bent-V.  In Canadian ASL, at least in Toronto, PIZZA is signed as a
sort-of-lax open hand, palm up, with the heel of the hand tapping the chin.
Looks really odd, and awkward to sign, but there you have it.

Do people not think it's very odd that the Nortel commercial is NOT seen in
Britain where at least it would be understood, but in North America, where it
has been misunderstood?  Maybe a second letter to Nortel, citing cultural
differences, ought to be written.

Sorry Rachel, I don't have the tech know-how to e-mail you a clip.  I'm sure
someone out there does, though.

Tane Akamatsu