"Accent" & Nortel

Adam Schembri acschembri at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 12 01:41:07 UTC 2000

Tane,

Yes, I believe you're right about ASL borrowings in Auslan. Many ASL signs
have been "nativised" into the language, and there are characteristic
alterations to signs made with the one-handed manual alphabet "T" (which is
usually made with the thumb under the index finger) and "P" (which sometimes
looks more like a "V").

Would be interested in hearing more about your observations of these
differences when you're in Sydney.

Adam Schembri