SLLING-L Digest - 7 Jan 2000 to 8 Jan 2000

Alysse Lemery Rasmussen alysse at CDE.COM
Sat Jan 8 19:25:05 UTC 2000

If it were a bit lower, near / in front of the mouth, it would be the sign
which, in Wisconsin, means "LUNCH".

Alysse

At 12:00 PM 1/8/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Date:     Sat, 8 Jan 2000 12:00:10 -0500
>Sender:   "For the discussion of linguistics and signed languages."
<SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA>
>From:     Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA>
>Subject:  SLLING-L Digest - 7 Jan 2000 to 8 Jan 2000
>To:       Recipients of SLLING-L digests <SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA>
>
>There is one message totalling 34 lines in this issue.
>
>Topics of the day:
>
>  1. Help me identify this sign
>Date:    Fri, 7 Jan 2000 13:01:00 -0600
>From:    "Karlin, Ben" <MFKARLB at MAIL.DMH.STATE.MO.US>
>Subject: Help me identify this sign
>
>I have seen a sign used by an American Deaf person that I am unfamiliar
>with.  I need to know if the sign is used ONLY by this person or
>if it is in general use, just not by a community that I am
>familiar with.
>
>Here it is:
>
>Sign is made one handed, just like the number 12 in ASL with the
>first two fingers flipping up twice from behind the thumb.  But
>the thumbnail is against the tip of the nose with the palm of the
>hand facing into the face so the fingers flash up in front of the
>eyes.  Hope this is a good enough explanation of the sign and No,
>it is not BUG.
>
>If you recognize the sign can you A: Tell me what it means? and
>B: Tell me who uses it (like "My deaf grandmother from Iowa" or
>"High schol kids in central CA" or "I haven't seen that in
>years!")?  Or if you have never seen it and think it is invented,
>that would also be useful for me to know.
>
>Please reply to MFKARLB at mail.dmh.state.mo.us or to the list.
>
>Thanks.  I've got others.
>
>Ben Karlin

Alysse Lemery Rasmussen
Instructor ASL & Spanish, co-owner TeachASL (listserv for Teachers of ASL),
owner of GrantSeekers at onelist.com (listserv grant writers)
Lemery Surname Research & other neat things:  http://members.aol.com/alysser/