Stokoe notation font?

Mark Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Thu Jan 27 19:52:14 UTC 2000

If it's of any help, I developed an ASCII transliteration of Stokoe notation to
use as a database for my dissertation. It's available on the Web, on my home
site. See http://world.std.com/~mam/ASCII-Stokoe.html or
http://world.std.com/~mam/ASCII-Stokoe.txt .

This "ASCII-Stokoe notation" provides an unambiguous, reversible transcription
of Stokoe notation (per DASL) into ASCII strings. Most of the symbols and syntax
have some mnemonic value, whether graphical (like + for crossing, DASL
double-cross symbol) or based on the name of the phoneme represented (e.g., u
for upper face location).

I'll give a few examples. I don't have DASL here at work, so I'll describe the
sign in detail from the standard Stokoe notation I've just jotted down.

A formal citation form of GOOD. In ASCII-Stokoe it looks like this:
     l/Bt/x|Ba-/Ba/x

l    lower-face location
/
B    active flat handshape
t         palm facing toward signer
/
x    contact
|    "SYLLABLE" BREAK
     zero location (neutral space, no symbol)
B    base flat handshape (location)
a         supine orientation
-         active hand above it
/
B    active flat handshape
a         supine orientation
/
x    contact

DEAF:
     c/O</x,t,x
c    side-of-face location (c for "cheek")
/
O    O handshape
<         facing toward nondominant side
/
x    contact
,         then
t    move "toward" signer (along front-back axis)
,         then
x    contact

FEEL:
     [/8t/^x
[    torso location
/
8    open-8 handshape
t         facing toward signer
/
^    movement upward
     simultaneous with (since there is no comma)
x    contact

There is also extension syntax for details not available in standard Stokoe
notation, such as which digit is involved (necessary in many
numeral-incorporating signs such as 'second of four' or 'freshman') or
initialized handshapes (_D_OCTOR).

   Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist and Manager of Acoustic Data
         Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Dragon Systems, Inc.
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com