"Classifier" predicates in SLs/Singleton, 1987

Adam Schembri acschembri at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 2 06:19:18 UTC 2000

I am attempting to document all references to "classifier" predicates of
motion, location, handling, and visual-geometric description in the signed
language literature. So far, I have accumulated a list of 26 signed
languages which appear to have complex predicates of this kind. The list is
below, with some of the publications I have seen cited, seen myself, and/or
read. Could anyone pass on to me references for other signed languages (I
know that the list includes researchers who have worked on other SLs, such
as NS and OeGS)?

Please, not I am not looking for additional references on complex predicates
in the languages listed below, but references on other signed languages. The
publications need not be in English if there are illustrations of the signs
in question.

I am also looking for a copy of Jenny Singleton's 1987 MA thesis (I have her
PhD). I have contacted the author directly but with no success (Does anyone
know if she is away, or if her email address has changed recently?).

Thank you,

Adam Schembri

Adam Schembri
Renwick College
(affiliated with the Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children
& University of Newcastle)
Private Bag 29
Parramatta NSW
2124 AUSTRALIA
Ph (voice/TTY): (61 2) 9872 0303
Fax: (61 2) 9873 1614

Auslan (Schembri, 1996)
ASL(Supalla, 1982)
Balinese SL (Branson & Miller, 1998)
BSL (Brennan, 1990)
Catalonian SL (Fourestier, 1999)
Chilean SL (Adamo, Acuna, Cabrera & Lattapiat, 1999) Columbian SL (Oviedo,
1999)
Danish SL (Engberg-Pedersen, 1993)
Finnish SL (Takkinen, 1996)
LSF (Moody, 1983)
DGS (Mathur & Rathmann, 1996)
Hong Kong SL (Tang, 2000)
Indo-Pakistani SL (IPSL) (Zeshan, 1999)
Irish SL (Matthews, 1996)
Israeli SL (Meir, 1996)
LIS (Corazza, 1990)
Mexican SL (Fridman-Mintz, 1998)
NZSL (Collins-Ahlgren, 1989)
ISN (Senghas, 1994)
Russian SL (Grenoble, 1992)
NGT (Zwitserlood, 1996)
LSQ (Dubuisson & Nadeau, 1993)
South African SL (Aarons & Morgan, 1998)
Swedish SL (Wallin, 1996)
Taiwan SL (Smith, 1989)
Thai SL (Collins-Ahlgren, 1990)