speed of movement in signs

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at UNM.EDU
Wed Nov 15 22:48:31 UTC 2000

> Dan, I want to clarify something.  Do you mean that the bounce is an
> articulatory artifact of the acceleration--something conditioned by
> physical necessity--or that the bounce is a kind of cognitive artifact, a
> sort of metaphor to represent speed that may or may not be present in
> articulatory reality?

One of the  things I like about email is the "parallel
processing" aspect. It seems that off-line, many of us are  having the
same kinds of discussions. I was just talking about this over lunch with
Sherman Wilcox.

Becuase nothing is simple (insert wry grin here), we have to take into
account the iconic aspects of (a) bouncing a cosument off of a table, and
(b) arriving -- no bounce, because then you haven't arrived!

Sigh. Back to phonology. Has anyone worked on a task-dynamic/articulatory
model of sign phonology? If not, does anyone want to? :-) It  seems that
some of these issues would be best looked at from that perspective.

Cheers,

Dan.