FW: Encyclopedia of Linguistics

Mark Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Tue Sep 12 15:10:29 UTC 2000

Adam Schembri writes:

I agree to a certain extent, but if you have a look at what is planned for
inclusion in the proposed encyclopedia, you will notice that much is
missing. As Nobukatsu mentioned, classifiers are not listed, despite being a
morphosyntactic phenomenon attested in a significant number of different
languages.

Why don't we produce our own encyclopedia of signed language linguistics?
Aren't we, as a field, ready for it?
<<<<<

We may be able to do it, but would that achieve the results we want?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would very much like sign languages to
be recognized as full-fledged members of the class of human languages and
given equally detailed treatment in any text or program that purports to
cover that class. It seems to me that letting the Fitzroy Dearborn
encyclopedia proceed according to the plan shown and putting on our own
separate show (which would not see print for at least five years) would
merely continue the ghettoization of sign languages.

Presumably the F.D. encyclopedia will be purchased by many universities,
whether by the campus library or by departments, as a "must-have" or
"should-have" acquisition: "We teach linguistics; well, here's a compact,
up-to-date survey."* But how many of them will make a similar argument for
purchasing a separate encyclopedia of sign languages?

*From the F.D. site: "It is intended for use by teachers and students of
linguistics and related fields, as well as interested general readers. It
is our goal to provide up-to-date and comprehensive coverage of the field
in a manner as neutral and accessible as possible." --
http://www.fitzroydearborn.com/chicago/lingsynopsis.htm

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com